Ozark Writers League

Online News Hub for Everyone

Has Your Family Been Hurt By Nuclear Power? You’re Not Alone

Nuclear Worker Thousands of U.S energy workers have been exposed to the life-threatening effects of radiation during the commission of their jobs and may be entitled to government  compensation and a home-aide through the EEOICPA program.

Since the Second World War over 70 years ago, the U.S nuclear industry has left a devastating trail of destruction and death in its wake, as an estimated 33,480 American nuclear energy workers have died from the negative effects of radiation in the decades that have ensued.  The figure of those who died had exceeded that of veterans in both the Iraq and Afganistan wars.

Many of those deaths were caused when workers were exposed to deadly substances during the construction of the U.S nuclear energy supply and weaponry.  

Nuclear Workers are Still Becoming Ill

In addition to the deaths, almost 107,400 people in the same time period have developed cancer or other serious illnesses. Around $12 billion has been paid out in compensation. Despite this, since the compensation program was formed in 2001 another 118 energy workers employed at nuclear facilities were damaged by radiation even after improved health and safety protocols were put in place.

How You Can Get Help

If you or a family member are a former nuclear energy worker and you have cancer or another radiation-associated illness, you could be entitled to financial compensation and to a home aide to assist you with medical care, personal care and household tasks. The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) is designed to provide you with those services for yourself or a loved one in the event of a terminal illness.

READ  Regular Activities That Reconnect You With Your Kids

EEOOCPA  part E states that you are eligible if you have a whole-body loss of function, the condition is not going to improve or it is terminal.

For more information on how to make a claim and the assistance you could receive, you can download the forms or visit the U.S Department of Labor website.

Comments are currently closed.